So last weekend I went home for a few days to visit my parents. It wasn't all smiles and dreams, but that isn't important. Health is getting better and that is what counts. So right before I left I got my new wheels! I decided to go with Poisons. They are this insanely glow in the dark green color, although I don't really think they glow in the dark. Anyway, with new wheels I got new bearings. So I went to Youtube for a few videos on changing bearings. After about two minutes of watching I decided to try it. I successfully put the new bearings in the new wheels and put them on my skates!! I still need to learn to clean the wheel bearings, but that will come a little later.
So my parents live in the corner of Arkansas that is flat. I figured it would be great to go skating on. The issue with this is yes, my roads are flat. But no, they aren't smooth. Arkansas roadways suck. There are cracks all over, weeds growing in the middle, and just all around horrible skateway. This really kind of bummed me out. I was really looking forward to trying the new wheels out. But I learned a valuable lesson. I hadn't been home since I started Derby and learned that you CANNOT judge a road from long term memory in your car.
I did try to skate on it and I didn't make it too far. About two houses down I decided that it just wasn't for me. Beside the road being cracked out like nobody's business my back was bugging me. Early that day I had gone swimming with a friend and her kids that I used to watch. Her boy and I were horsing around and I had tweaked something in my back. It didn't hurt much until I tried to skate. I decided to stop trying to skate and let my back rest and I did. It took a few days but now my back is good to go. I still need to try out my new wheels outside. If I can't before next derby practice I will get more practice in changing my wheels. One day I will have a second pair of skates so I can just trade out skates. But that isn't yet.
~ <3 Kiss My Blarney
No comments:
Post a Comment