Monday, July 9, 2012

Still Here, Still Skating

Just a quick post so you guys know I am still alive. I have been extremely busy with work the past few weeks.  Yesterday was a great day in the derby world. We went to a skate park to try to skate. Our Coach used to skate on a banked track and has experience with skating up ramps and such. Wow. I know I don't have lots of confidence on my own and I SURE don't have it at the skate park either. I could skate around the park itself. Not a huge deal, some was slightly up hill, some slightly down hill. The scary part was the ramps. I wasn't going to try to half pipe type ramps yet. So just tried a ramp that went from the second level down. That was a bad idea.

First I tried going up. I didn't have enough speed and half way up my momentum started to slow me down. My first thought was 'Oh crap, I'm not going to make it. BACKWARDS? NO......' So I tried to push while going up. I pushed alright, straight onto my knees. Yup, thankfully we have knee pads on. (They also helped me climb up the ramp on my knees so I didn't have to get up on the ramp or slide down.) You would think that  with this experience behind me I would be smart enough to realize that going down would be just as hard. Nope. I will try most things once. If I fail it might be a bit before I try again. So what did I do? I tried to go down. I went down. There is no mistaking that. I went down fast and hard. Right on my butt. Thankfully I turned slightly so I didn't land square on my tailbone. I have bruised it before and that is no bueno. At this point I decided to give up the skate park idea at the moment. After the five or so minutes to recover from the pain in my butt I crawled back up the ramp and decided to watch the other girls. We had several girls that KICKED butt and the skate park. We fell a lot, but all the girls tried a ramp or two at least once. It was interesting hearing the guys on skateboards and bikes talk about us. When we first got there half of the park left. One of the girls overheard one of the other skaters say that he didn't know that a "skate park" meant that kind of skates. In my opinion then why allow bikes? We are skaters too, with skills to work on. Just because we are safer, wear gear, have more wheels, and are GIRLS doesn't mean we can't.

My favorite part of the practice was the hang out afterward. We all went to the pool and had a mini pool party. It was great. Up until the time I had to leave to go to work. Let me just say I was exhausted all night. Today I am a little sore from the swimming and the skating in the park. But I woke up to a nice surprise...

New gear!!! I ordered some gear from one of our sponsors. I have to go home middle of this week to my parents house for some family stuff. I won't be able to skate in a rink for at least a week. But there is always outside. So I finally ordered those poison wheels!! I will let you guys know what I think. I ordered new bearings, lower ABEC rating than my normal ones though, so we will see how that goes. Also got new toe stops (bigger the better in my opinion for a fat kid!), bearing oil, and some new laces. My favorite part was that I ordered them less than a week ago knowing that I would have them before I left! Any person who orders any skate gear, whether for roller skates, skateboards, inlines, what have you will know the fun part of any package is A)putting the gear together and using for the first time (half of this is done so far) and 2) getting the stickers! I have been and always will be a sticker whore. Thankfully another one of our sponsors is a sticker company...Watch out ladies, I'm getting stickers!!

~ <3 Kiss My Blarney

No comments:

Post a Comment