I didn't need to worry so much. I am glad I went to derby last night and I am glad the girls missed me. That made me feel more and more like a huge part of the team. And to top it off I am not the only LOA person anyway. I am not alone.
So over the course of derby training I see more and more things from Karate that influence my thoughts of derby. Lots of little lessons that apply greatly and affect what I do. Somethings don't help derby because of the natural differences in the sports, but most do. In Karate you want to have your wait centered and low. The more centered it is the more stable you are, the lower it is the more control you have. The same with derby, other than your weight distribution is now 6 inches taller. Every time we lay down on the floor I have a hard time laying my head (even in a helmet) on the ground. Years of Karate training of keeping your head off the ground has me slightly twitching when others do not keep theirs off the ground too.
If anyone has ever trained with any type of martial arts you know that hips are important. Any type of throw, punch, block, kick, anything. Everything uses your hips to some degree. After I had my shoulder surgery I was put on restrictions in karate. I could practice everything without my hands. My Sensei made me practice all my hip movements without my arms. Granted this made me feel SO stupid. But it worked. When I got my arms back all my moves with arms where stronger, more direct.
I have practiced my booty blocks on my own in that same way. I like to think that I have a strong hip motion and can defend myself with the rest of them. The hardest part for me when blocking or doing hits isn't getting the power behind it to do it or to defend someone else. I am a big girl with a solid body. The hardest part is the balance. I have to work harder to keep my body weight low. The lower I get it the less anyone will be able to knock me down. One day I will be great at this.
I try to use the mentality of Karate in derby. It doesn't always help to zen out and let your body just do. In derby you are a part of a team, you have to always be aware of what the others are doing. But I am grateful for my years in karate and the help they have given in not just everyday life but in my new world of derby. There are so many more things that I find alike between the two. Maybe as I learn more I can write again on it.
~ <3 Kiss My Blarney
Are you a kid who wants to learn self-defense, but are afraid you’ll learn how to be aggressive, visit our martial art training center and you can admit your kids.Best karate in Connecticut
ReplyDelete