Yesterday was yet another practice. So many awesome things happened. I'm finally feeling more comfortable with my regular skating, so I decided for the most part I was going to try what everyone else does. We did a few floor drills, and those I still have trouble with. I can walk cross overs, but only if I am near the wall. I don't trust myself enough to do it without falling. I can do the t-stops and the plow stops just fine. I am a little shaky still on doing the t-stops at a high rate of speed, but that will come later. Practicing falls is a scary thing to me. I did not attempt it yesterday at all. I'm not scared as much of the falling as I am the getting back up. It takes a lot of work for me to get up after I fall down, so why would I intentionally fall?
We played this awesome game called stick in the mud. It is kind of like the freeze tag you played as a kid, but instead of crawling under someone you have to skate two laps around them. It was a lot of fun. I have trouble skating small laps around people but I succeeded in "unsticking" a few people. Of course as the slow skater I got tagged a bunch. But it was still really fun, especially with the changing directions. Even if the Femme Reaper left me after only one lap around me and someone else had to save me.
After the games we did a scrimmage. I am not comfortable enough yet to scrimmage with the team. I don't feel like my skills are good enough to skate next to some of these girls and the whole falling thing weighs heavily on my mind. But I got the chance to take more pictures and watch a few jams.
I started my first official night as league secretary. I have some really great ideas and I really hope that I can bring those ideas and my past experiences and help the team grow. We had some sad news, one of our girls decided to resign. It's never an easy thing to see a group fall apart in anyway. But the girls have come together and I think that will make us stronger. Some stuff has happened to the team before I joined, things I don't have a right to talk about. But those things have impacted the group that I skate with. And I think that along with the girl who recently resigned will in the end help us to be a better team and a stronger team. We will miss her a lot, and she is always welcome back. That is how it is suppose to be in a family. Doesn't matter what happens or who gets mad at who. If you are family you forgive each other and you make up. I am proud to say that I am apart of this family of skating. <3
Today was my first day skating at the armory. My boyfriend had to go do some stuff there so I tagged along and brought all my skate gear. Since no one was using the floor I could skate while everyone was working and so I did. It was great. I realized a few things. It is hard to keep motivation when nobody is there to have fun with you. I need music, but I am scared to keep my MP3 player on me if I fall, so I will need to figure that out. And last but not least, I am braver when I don't have others to try to impress. For the first time ever I tried falls. I tried both one knee falls, two knee falls (otherwise known as the rockstar), and falling on all fours.
I am a big girl and for a big girl to get up takes a lot of energy. Now add in wheels and a different position for your feet. I'm not going to lie, it was hard to get up. It took a lot of energy and I was tired after each try. I would have done more falls but I didn't want to keep getting up. As I go through everything and strengthen my legs it will get easier, but for now, a few falls is more than enough for me. I have found a downfall with knee pads though. My knees are slightly off center and bend off to the side a little bit. Enough that when I fall my pads slide after I am on the ground. The pads still do their job and still protect my knees, but slightly awkward if I stay on my knee for any small length of time. I have to pay attention to how I have my knees if I get down on them so that the pads don't slide out from under me. This will take time to get used to. Maybe eventually if I can get customized knee pads, I will. But for now I will just live and learn.
Overall I feel like today was a success and I can't wait to skate again!
~ <3 Kiss My Blarney
No comments:
Post a Comment