Sunday, May 20, 2012

Not a setback, just different

I have to keep telling myself that today's practice is not a setback. Just something different. I am not going to be good at everything, I know this. But my head doesn't. Today was a practice of endurance. I am the fat kid and do NOT have the endurance that everyone else does. I know I need to work on the endurance, and I did. Just not to the degree that everyone else did.  We did a partner pyramid. Half of us were in the center and the other half were skating around the rink. After one lap we traded off and the partner did one lap. Next one was two, then three, then four, all the way up to five. Once you finished the five laps you go back down the number scale trading off. It was really hard. I did almost all the way up to the five. Almost, then had to take a break. But I didn't stop, I went back out and skated some more laps. That I was proud of.  After that they did five minutes of skating, a 180 knee fall, then five minutes skating the opposite direction. You can think five minutes of fairly fast skating maybe easy, but it is not. Not one bit. Instead of doing that I did squats in the center of the rink. Man, that was a torturous idea.  Ten minutes of squats. I was timing my squats to PP's laps. One lap of standing on my skates to give my legs and feet a break, and two laps of staying in a squat position. My legs were shaking so badly.  But I feel like I got a work out, and wasn't just being lazy or fat.

I have been having an issue with my feet. My right foot has been hurting when I skate. Not a blister type. Everyone keeps thinking that is what it is. Nope. It is kind of like a super tired feeling mixed with a cramp.  I asked around and figured I would try a thicker sock. Maybe my foot was sliding too much and trying to "grip" the bottom of my skate too much.  Didn't work at all. My foot still hurt. So after practice I went to Walmart and tried out that Dr. Scholl's foot sensor thing.  It tells you if you have any foot issues and what is the best insert. The downfall? Those inserts are $50. But it did confirm what I thought. I have very low arches. From my research online that could cause the foot cramping. So I got a pair of $10 ones and I think I will try it out. If it helps some, then I might invest in the expensive ones. I really hope this will help, the pain is almost unbearable. I will find out Thursday during practice how it works.

~ <3 Kiss My Blarney

No comments:

Post a Comment